The good old days

I found this little diddy I wrote while I was temping in the city.  This was a year or two after college.
As you can tell, I have fond memories of this.  And all of the stories of the psychotic bitch that was the secretary!  That could fill an entire blog by itself.  If only blogs were around then.  But those are tales for another time.
Here's the poem.

Once, for a temp service I was working
while there were real jobs that were lurking
just beyond my grasp, a little past that door

Thinking about the education I could be getting
Or the people in my class I won't be catching
haunts my psyche until my ego's sore

Working like this, Forever more!

Toiling away without insurance
Switching jobs like some cruel dance
this hopelessness strikes me to the core

I listen to the evil secretary cackle
laughing as to this desk she locks my shackles
talking on and on never realizing she is a bore

Oh, money that I adore!
Desperate I took this job
never thinking
never thinking of the repercussions, only the allure
Would that be if I weren't poor

If only I had known to study harder
and my amibitions had gone farther
perhaps then I would still remember my dreams of yore

Comments

Popular Posts